Veggie recipes for vegging out; easy nourishing meals that are simple to prepare. Sometimes you just need to veg out, and that is what this week is all about!
Giving yourself the gift of time is a powerful and restorative healing tool, especially for our adrenals.
We live in a society where "crazy busy" is like a badge of honour, and burn-out + achievement live together.
This busy stress life work practice is a truly excellent set-up for stress + dis-ease to settle into our body. The short term might be ok...but the long term is counter-intuitive to creating health + happiness.
Our health is our wealth ~ the covid crisis has really helped remind us all of that.
~ in the words of one of my fav yogi's ~" be sure to take time to be a human being, not a human doing".
- TUSCAN KALE & WHITE BEAN SOUP ~ Tuscan Kale & White Bean Soup is a light yet hearty vegetable meal. Great served with Healthy Carrot Cornbread.
- HEALTHY CARROT & OLIVE OIL CORNBREAD • gluten-free • sugar-free • make it dairy-free.
I love cornbread, but not the traditional style loaded with butter + sugar; more the "nutritional bang for your bite" variety. This recipe delivers great texture + moisture made with cornmeal, grated carrots and scallions: the combo adds moisture, natural sweetness and a light texture.
Cornmeal is naturally gluten-free; if you have a sensitivity, be sure to choose cornmeal processed in a gluten-free facility. Make this dairy or dairy-free using the milk of your choice.
- SPICE ROASTED SWEET POTATOES & BRUSSELS ~ Warming smoky spices make these roasties delicious ~ ready to eat with just about anything! You can add any vegetables you love.
- BROCCOLI RICE NOODLES ~ Broccoli + rice noodle creates a healthy, simple meal in minutes. Steaming is one of the most healthful ways to cook vegetables to retain all the nutrients. Create healthy meals in minutes by steaming vegetables.
- MISO CHILLI ROASTED TOFU, BROCCOLI & CASHEWS ~ Tofu is made from soybeans that are pressed to make soy milk. The milk is coagulated to make bean curd and processed to form solid white block tofu. Tofu can have different texture consistencies from silken to super firm, which Tofu texture you choose depends on what you are making.
Soybeans and Tofu are high in plant protein and essential amino acids. Tofu is generally eaten as an alternative to animal proteins.
- QUINOA CHICKPEA VEGGIE BOWLS ~ Simple finely chopped veg stir-fried with cooked quinoa and chickpeas folded in. Great veggie bowl base that's versatile; spice it up, top with herbs, roasted vegetables, mushrooms, tofu, serve cooled as a salad with feta + olives + rocket or eat it as is ~ delish!
Make a double batch and use it as a base for different meals for a few days to keep life simple while eating well with whole foods.
Wishing you lots of restful and restorative "veg out time" & vibrant health.
Chef Karina Hines