I don't know about you, but I'm feeling that "meh" kinda swirling February energy and like I need to dig real deep right now to get through it and move forward with clarity and intention.
SO this weeks menu is all about Grounding & Strengthening, and Fortifying foods because that is what I need right now; I am sure I am not alone in that, and using Food as Medicine actually works!
Grounding spices, umami flavours, + strengthening foods with probiotics, lots of plants and protein can really help us emotionally and energetically ground to gather the strength we need to stick with those goals we set!
Dandelion Spring Farm grows gorgeous herbs and vegetables.
- CAULIFLOWER RED LENTIL DAAL WITH KALE ~ This daal is delicious and dynamic, with some big flavours & lots of nutritional "bang for your bite". This recipe makes a big batch; I have added different serving ideas to mix it up so you can happily eat this grounding warming dish for days; like all good curries, the depth of flavour is better the next day. This daal recipe freezes well.
- ALMOND, COCONUT & GOLDEN BERRY MUESLI ~ A tart, tangy berries mixed with toasted oats, almonds, and coconut give this superfood cereal a luscious tropical vibe.
Ground cherries, also called Golden Berries, Cape Gooseberries, Husky Berries, are small yellow berries inside a papery husk; they are related to Tomatillos and are part of the Physalis family. These fabulous little fruits are very nutrient-dense with essential vitamins + minerals; they are easy to grow and can be eaten fresh or dried or cooked in both sweet + savoury dishes or made into salsa or preserves.
- POACHED BROCCOLI & SWISS CHARD MISO BROTH ~ Food as medicine soup ~ this is restorative, grounding and great for digestive health. Lots of greens with a veggie or bone broth and miso make this low-carb, grain + fat-free with a good source of probiotics and prebiotics, fibre + vitamins & minerals.
Parsley is a nutrient-dense superfood. MISO is fermented soybean paste. Fermented foods have gut-healthful bacteria. Miso has both beneficial prebiotic insoluble fibre + probiotic properties. Ginger is a powerful plant rhizome full of anti-inflammatory, antiviral properties + soothing, warming and moving actions.
- WHITE BEAN & GARLIC SMASH w/ Parsley + Rocket & Aleppo Pepper ~ This tasty recipe could not be easier; you can literally make it on the serving plate. A great salad or dip with benefits = plant-based protein, anti-inflammatory, immune-supportive, heart-healthy properties, and low fat.
- GARAM MASALA & MUSTARD ROASTED VEGETABLES ~ Purple top turnips, cauliflower + winter squash, tossed in garam masala, mustard and thyme roasted and served on a bed of their lovely peppery greens and parsley leaves = healthy + local + warming + delicious! Curry & mustard spiced roasted CSA and farmers market vegetables from the stunning organic certified Dandelion Spring Farm.
- BEEF & KALE BURGERS with Oats ~ Local pasture-raised grass-fed beef mixed with kale, herbs, spices and rolled oats to help hold the ingredients together + adding fibre make these burgers full of flavour, nutrient-dense and easy to grill or BBQ.
For a real strengthening balanced bite top with homemade or local sauerkraut or kimchi – Thirty Acres Farms makes fabulous ferments! For excellent beef raised properly by hard-working 7th generation farmers who are fabulous fun, seek out John & Lucy Carter from Middle Intervale Farm. You can find them at the Portland Farmers Market in Bethel, Maine and beyond.Wishing you a strong & vibrant body, mind and spirit
Chef Karina Hines