For the love of fabulous and fun food! This week's recipes help bring full flavours and bowls full
of nourishment and joy to the table using simple + seasonal ingredients.
I am a firm believer that food should be fun and bring joy to the table with nourishment, not punishment, especially when it comes to healthy eating and whole-food ingredients.
This week I am sharing my recent fab fun food giant little adventure that I had with the
Sweet Potato & Black Bean Tacos. I developed this recipe for a food styling + chef hand's video for a health care company and their clients.
The recipe is complete with "behind the scenes" sneak peek pics of the world of food filming.
It was a wild, fun, dynamic and complex work adventure; I loved it ~ who knew cutting a sweet potato on video would be tricky…it is!
I hope this week's menu + recipes brings joy to your table.
- SELF-CARE BREKKIE BOWL w/ BANANA ~ This recipe is lovely; the ingredients aren’t fancy, but it feels like such a treat to eat when put together like this in a bowl full of self-care.
- ROASTED CAULIFLOWER SALAD with a Pumpkin Spiced Vinaigrette ~ A low carb, high fibre & nutrient-dense dish with roasted cauliflower and crunchy vegetables tossed in a vinaigrette. Radicchio + warming spices help stimulate digestion. Parsley is a mineral-rich affordable superfood!
- SHIITAKE MUSHROOM, POTATO & THYME FRITTATA with a Herb Salad ~ This recipe pairs Shiitakes with potatoes, parsley, eggs and thyme to give you a real food as medicine meal that is also simple and affordable to prepare using local seasonal produce.
- ROASTED SWEET POTATO & BLACK BEAN TACOS ~ you can use Romaine Lettuce leaves as Taco shells. When roasted in the oven, something magical happens with the marinade, sweet potatoes and black beans – you get a lovely sweet + spicy flavour balance and some great textures. Seasonally swap your vegetable ingredients for produce from your local farmer’s markets and gardens.
- ITALIAN SPICED PORK & CHARD PASTA BOWLS ~ This recipe is a spin on a classic Italian bolognese style meat sauce, made with ground pork, tomatoes, chilli and swiss chard and stirred through my favourite quinoa pasta. You could use beef, turkey, chicken or even make it plant-based if you prefer and swap the greens for what you have and love.
I live in Portland, Maine, surrounded by fabulous small farms producing thoughtfully raised meats and produce. I used heritage ground pork from Patch Farm in Denmark, Maine, a family-owned organic farm that uses bio-dynamic practices.
- BANANA DATE TEFF BREAD • vegan • gluten-free • high protein ~ Teff is a protein-rich old school grain that is both nutrient-dense and drought-resistant, an excellent grain to eat and grow! Add to that banana, oats, dates and spices, and we have a luscious loaf that’s high fibre, heart-healthy baked goodness—sweetened by the fruits.
Wishing you lots of fab fun food & vibrant health.
Chef Karina Hines